Supporting a Healthy Ocean
Playing our part
Serious About Seafood Sustainability
Lusamerica Foods is committed to environmentally responsible business practices and to helping our customers meet their corporate responsibility goals by offering a broad range of sustainable seafood products.
You have the power to offer your customers ocean-friendly seafood. Let us help you expand your sustainable seafood choices.
- We offer a wide range of sustainable seafood products that have been certified by credible third parties such as Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) and Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP). These rigorous, independent eco-certification programs are widely recognized and directly engage with fisheries or farms to address social and environmental challenges.
- We partner with FishChoice, a non-profit organization focused on market-based approaches to marine conservation, and are actively supporting recommendations of the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch program.
- We research each and every product we sell to understand and address any associated environmental issues, ensure traceability, and provide transparent information to our customers and staff.
- We have implemented Trace Register with our clients and continue to expand.
Through these programs and initiatives, Lusamerica Foods is strengthening both its longstanding commitment to offering safe, sustainable, and traceable products, and working with vendors, customers, and environmental partners to affect positive change in the seafood industry.
- We are growing sales of “Best Choice” and “Good Alternative” products as recommended by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch program, a testimony to the demand for sustainable seafood choices.
- We have discontinued the sale of unsustainable species and non-MSC-certified Chilean Sea Bass, maintaining Chain of Custody certification with MSC for sustainably sourced product.
Other Sustainability Efforts
- We promote fisheries that use more environmentally sensitive harvest methods.
- We work with our suppliers to ensure that working conditions and compensation practices are fair, safe and economically sustainable.
- We participate in projects to improve practices in fisheries at the ground level, including working closely with World Wildlife Fund on Ecuadorian mahi-mahi and Indonesian tuna.
Meet our Fishermen
Get to know the people catching our local fish.
See the different local species we catch off the West Coast.
Our Commitment to the Environment Goes Beyond Seafood
In addition to the efforts we make in sourcing sustainable and responsibly-produced seafood, we are doing even more for the environment as part of our business practices. Our management and staff are dedicated to finding additional ways to reduce our impact on the global environment. Here are some examples:
Innovative Product Packaging
One of our most significant achievements was designing new packaging to replace the heavily waxed cardboard and Styrofoam boxes often used to transport seafood. Our Tasty Catch® box is completely recyclable, so it can be turned into new boxes at the end of its use. We even designed it with a special closure to eliminate the use of tape, which is often not recyclable.
Our offices and plants all participate in the recycling of cardboard, glass, metals and paper to reduce waste as much as possible.
We have created an innovative way to recycle 100% of the Styrofoam that enters our plants. We also recycle all incoming waxed cardboard boxes.
Our trucks all comply with current California emissions standards, which are the strictest in the nation.
Family, woman and minority owned since 1975 distributing seafood to the Western United States and beyond.
Tel: (408) 778-7200 | toll free: (800) 974-6622 | email: email@example.com